Some homeowners prefer hiring a handyman for roof repairs. And why not? They can get the job done for the cheapest price and will be done before you even know it. But be careful. A handyman can cause more damage to your roof and shorten its lifespan. What looks like a great deal can cost you more in high-cost repairs. Here are the drawbacks to letting just anyone get on your roof to repair it.
1. They Aren’t Trained
Let’s say your handyman replaced a few missing shingles, and all looks well. But how sure are you of the problem being fixed? There’s more to roofing than just nailing down shingles and making sure they’re straight. The roofing system has different layers which work together to protect your home. A handyman lacks the trained eyes needed to spot real problems or uncover underlying issues. They will work on your roof but you’ll still have the same roof problem after they’re gone.
2. They Could Do More Harm Than Good
It’s far too easy for a handyman to cause further damage to your roof due to a lack of sufficient roofing training and experience. For instance, a handyman may walk on the roof and tear other shingles or put a nail in the wrong part of the flashing and cause a leak. Without a complete understanding of how the roofing system works, a handyman may do more harm than good in the process of trying to repair your roof. The health and longevity of your roof will not be guaranteed.
3. It Will Take Longer To Repair Your Roof
Even if a handyman can make repairs safely, it’s going to take them significantly more time than it would a roofing specialist. A roofing contractor has years of experience and knows what they need and what to do from the moment they’re hired.
It would take more time for a handyman to inspect your roof, diagnose the problem, and collect the appropriate tools and materials. Multiple attempts to fix the roofing problem will eat up your time and leave you frustrated. There’s also no guarantee the repairs will stand the test of time.
4. Poorly Done Repairs Can Cost More in the Long Run
The number one reason homeowners hire handymen for roof repair is to save money. But in roofing, you always get what you pay for. When you skimp on professional labor to cut costs, you can expect to get subpar quality. By and large, handymen are more susceptible to making installation mistakes and providing shoddy workmanship.
Their lack of proficiency may not be immediately apparent, but keep in mind their work doesn’t cut the mustard. In a few weeks or months, you’ll have to fork out more for frequent repairs or a premature roof replacement. This could cost you far more than just hiring a professional roofing contractor to get the job done right the first time.
5. Roof Repairs at the First Sign of Trouble
Regardless of the severity of roof damage, repairs should be done with a sense of urgency if you want to avoid extensive damage to your home and preserve your roof’s condition. Even minor problems can lead to significant and costly issues if you put roof repairs on hold. Here are clear signs your roof needs attention:
- Curled, cracked, missing, or loose shingles
- Leaks and interior water damage
- High energy bills
- Damage around roof fixtures
- Mold growth and wet spots
- Sagging roof deck
- Stains on the walls and ceiling
- Blistering or peeling paint
- Daylight shining through the roof
- Storm damage
Spotting and taking care of roof problems with immediate attention can help cut down on the expense and amount of time it will take to fix your roof.
6. It’s Always Best to Hire a Professional Roofing Contractor
If you’re thinking of making roof repairs on your own or hiring your favorite handyman, consider having a professional roofing contractor instead. Find an excellent roofer with expert knowledge of their trade and excellent customer service. Here are reasons why it’s best to hire a professional roofer:
- Save Time and Money: To make sure your roof repairs are completed quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively, hire a specialized roofing company for the job. The roofing contractor will promptly diagnose any problems, acquire the materials needed, and get the job done efficiently. You won’t have any added damage when you hire a dependable roofer.
- Superior Knowledge and Experience: Professional roofers have been in the industry for years and have worked on different roofs. With extensive training and experience, they’re bound to provide excellent workmanship and long-lasting results. They also comply with local building codes.
- Enhanced Safety: Accidents related to roofing work are very common. Roofing contractors and their workers have safety training and all the equipment needed to ensure their safety while on the job.
- Peace of Mind: Having your roof repaired by an experienced and reliable roofing contractor gives you the assurance of a job well done. Professional roofers stand behind their repairs; should anything go wrong, you know you’re covered.
Instead of taking a chance on a handyman, turn to Quantum Roofing for high-quality, long-lasting roof repairs. Contact us to discuss your roofing needs in North Caroline, South Carolina, and Tennessee.