When it comes to hiring a roofing contractor, there are certain questions that every homeowner should ask to ensure they are making the right choice. Your roof is one of the most important components of your home, protecting you and your belongings from the elements. Thus, it’s crucial to hire a reputable and reliable contractor for your roofing needs. In this blog, we will explore the essential questions that every homeowner should ask a roofing contractor before hiring them. By asking these questions, you can make an informed decision that will safeguard your home and provide you with peace of mind.
Questions About The Roofing Contractor’s Business Operations
- Are you locally based? Where is your office located? Most reputable roofers have a local, physical principal place of business.
- Who owns your business? How long have they owned your business? Learn more about the roofer’s history and ownership structure.
- Are you licensed in this state? Are you authorized in this municipality? Verify that the roofer operates legally and “above board.”
- Are you insured? Established roofers carry at least $1 million in general liability insurance and a worker’s compensation policy.
- Are you bonded? A bonded roofer protects the homeowner if the roofer fails to complete the contracted work.
- What professional certifications do you hold? Accomplished roofers hold industry-recognized credentials.
- Who are your three biggest competitors? What factors separate you from them? A reputable roofer knows their competition and what differentiates them from their competitors.
- Can you provide me the names and contact information for at least three references? A trustworthy roofer will gladly supply references to satisfied customers.
Questions Relating To The Roofing Contractor’s Workforce
- Do you use employees or subcontractors to perform the roofing work? Knowing who will perform the work matters. If the roofer subcontracts labor, verify that the roofer secures full lien waivers from all subcontractors. Understand what type of relevant education the roofer’s workers possess.
- How much experience do you possess working with this particular roofing material? If the roofer uses a specific roofing product (tile, metal, slate), evaluate their knowledge and experience installing it.
Questions Concerning The Roofing Project Process
- Is a building permit required? If so, how will that process be handled? Sometimes, the roofer will require the homeowner to secure the building permit. Understand which party will be responsible for this matter.
- IDo you conduct a roofing inspection before you start the roofing work? If so, do you use any specific process or technology to evaluate my roof’s condition? Most reputable roofers perform some type of inspection prior to beginning the project.
- Will you inspect the decking and underlayment? If you are having your roof replaced, confirm that the roofer will evaluate the layer under the existing roof.
- How long should I expect the work to take from start to finish? Having an established timeline sets expectations for both parties.
- Who will be my contact person during the work? How will I reach this person? Knowing who to contact and how to reach them is critical to open communication.
- How often will I receive updates? What forms of communication will you use? A trustworthy roofer knows the importance of transparency and openness.
Questions About Safety Procedures Employed By The Roofing Contractor
Few situations are more frustrating than when someone does not clean up after themselves. Verify what process the roofer uses to maintain your property during and after the work. Confirm that the roofer will employ industry guidelines concerning the safety of workers and your property.
- How will you protect my property during construction?
- What safety precautions do you take to protect your workers and others who may enter my house?
- What happens if bad weather impacts the job site?
- What type of clean-up efforts do you employ?
Questions Regarding The Pricing Structure Of The Roofing Project
Typically, the most challenging aspect of the evaluation process involves asking questions about the cost of the roofing project. All homeowners want to receive value. Although price matters, having a complete picture of the contract terms reduces confusion and misunderstanding for both parties.
- Do you provide a detailed line item written estimate?
- Can I review a written copy of your contract before signing it?
- What factors or unforeseen circumstances would cause you to deviate from the contracted price?
- Will I receive a notification before performing work above the contracted price?
- Will you obtain my express consent before performing work over the contracted price?
- How does the payment process work? Can you place payment terms in writing?
- What payment methods do you accept? Can I have a written receipt for the payment?
- What happens if I am not satisfied with a particular product or service?
Questions About Roofing Warranties And Tax Benefits
These questions give you an understanding of what safeguards (and tax advantages) exist following the work. Although warranties are not always customary, established roofers may extend them when using specific types of roofing products.
- Do you offer a labor or workmanship warranty? If so, what are the terms?
- Do you offer a product or manufacturer’s warranty? If so, what are the terms?
- If there are any warranties, how do I register them?
- Are there any tax benefits available for the work you perform?
Questions Corresponding To Technical Aspects Of The Roofing Project
The following questions allow you to inquire about more intricate details of the roofing project to ascertain the roofer’s relative level of expertise and what results you can expect.
- Will you install drip or metal edge?
- How many nails will you use per shingle?
- Will you reuse the current flashing or install new flashing?
- Will you assess my roofing system for adequate insulation?
- Will you evaluate my roofing system for sufficient ventilation?
- How far will the shingles overhang?
- Will you employ metal in the valleys or weave the shingles?
- What process and tools do you use to cut shingles?
Selecting An Experienced And Established Roofing Contractor
Quantum Roofing answers all your roofing questions for homeowners in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. We drive home solutions that give you peace of mind. No matter what type of roofing project, we have the knowledge and experience to deliver results. Contact us today to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment.